Alton Truck Accident Lawyer: How To File An Alton Trucking Lawsuit
Alton is one of the first cities you’ll find when entering Illinois on the western border. It has a diverse population of more than 26,000 and offers easy access to surrounding cities such as St. Louis and Edwardsville. Alton is known for its rich political history and versatile geography, as it nearly touches both the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers. Being so close to several metropolitan areas, travelers often get tangled up on the highways. If you have suffered a truck accident in the Alton area, an Alton truck accident lawyer can help you receive compensation.
Trucking Accident Statistics for Alton, Illinois
Have you seen the numbers? Truck accident rates may be lower than car accident rates, but they’re just as dangerous. Here are some Alton truck accident statistics from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration:
- Alton experiences fewer than 5 fatal truck accidents each year.
- “[Nationwide], there was a 34-percent decrease in the number of fatal crashes involving large trucks or buses between 2005 and 2009, followed by an increase of 40 percent between 2009 and 2017. From 2016 to 2017, the number of fatal crashes involving large trucks or buses increased by 8 percent.
- “On average, from 2007 to 2017, intercity buses accounted for 13 percent, and school buses and transit buses accounted for 40 percent and 35 percent, respectively, of all buses involved in fatal crashes.
- “From 2016 to 2017, The number of large trucks involved in fatal crashes increased 10 percent, from 4,251 to 4,657, and the large truck involvement rate (large trucks involved in fatal crashes per 100 million miles traveled by large trucks) increased 6 percent, from 1.48 to 1.56.
- “Of the approximately 450,000 police-reported crashes involving large trucks in 2017, there were 4,237 (1 percent) fatal crashes and 344,000 (23 percent) injury crashes.
- “In 2017, 30 percent of work zone fatal crashes and 12 percent of work zone injury crashes involved at least one large truck. Fatal crashes often call for a wrongful death lawsuit, with the help of an Alton truck accident lawyer.
Alton Trucking Safety Tips and The Risks of Truck Driving
It’s likely that you try to keep a safe distance from trucks on the highway, but why is that? Here are some of the reasons trucks are hazardous:
- Trucks generally weigh several times more than cars. This makes it harder for them to stop once already in motion.
- Truck drivers have limited visibility. Not only are they seated higher than the drivers around them, but the size of the truck creates visual blockades.
- Trucks are unpredictable. Their tires can explode, they can lose their loads from the rear, and sometimes they change lanes before you can prepare.
- The exhaust that comes out of a truck is thick and can be toxic. Moreover, truck exhaust can be so smoggy that it actually distracts other drivers.
In turn, these are the tips that will make you safer driving in or near a truck:
- Stay alert. Fatigue is a common cause of traffic accidents. If you’re too tired to drive or notice a driver who is dangerously tired, you need to take action. If you’re the one who’s sleepy, pull off to a safe area and take a nap. To report a driver, call your local emergency contact (911 in most areas).
- Stay at least 200 feet away from trucks unless you’re passing them. Don’t hang around trucks unless you must.
- Make sure any loads in your vehicle are securely in place. It’s easy for a truck full of lumber or livestock to have a door swing open, and everything goes downhill at that point.
- Keep emergency gear in your vehicle. A charged cell phone, first aid kit, jumper cables, your driver’s license, insurance, registration, extra clothing, a flashlight, and emergency food.
Filing An Alton Truck Accident Lawsuit
If you’ve endured a truck accident, chances are you have contacted your insurance company about it. Your insurance company did what they could to finance your damages but couldn’t pay for everything. Things like a broken arm or a week of work you had to miss have cost you money that your insurer isn’t obligated to pay. A personal injury lawyer will look at damages like these, both compensatory and punitive, in order to win you money for your losses.
An Alton truck accident lawyer has a collection of responsibilities. They will gather all relevant evidence, assess the damages, and make a case as to why you aren’t liable for your injuries. They will also ask if you’re mitigating damages which will affect the strength of your case. Your attorney will do their best to settle out of court which is the most common outcome for truck accident lawsuits. If this doesn’t happen, you’ll go to trial.
A strong civil lawsuit will allow you to win your case and receive compensation. The subsequent settlement will be divided between you and your attorney per a contingency fee basis. Contact an Alton truck accident lawyer soon to ensure you’re within the statute of limitations.
What Is The Timeline Of An Alton Truck Accident Lawsuit?
Your first civil lawsuit will have you wondering just how long everything will take. You can expect a truck accident case to take 1-2 years to complete. The timeframe of a lawsuit depends on many factors such as the court schedule and the type of case at hand (things like a bellwether trial or multidistrict litigation tend to make the compensation process longer). Simpler cases such as a premises liability case can settle in under a year. For the most accurate estimate of your truck accident lawsuit, ask your attorney.
Benefits Of Contacting An Alton Truck Accident Lawyer
Not all cases are apt for a lawsuit or even for an out-of-court settlement. However, there’s no downside to calling a lawyer after a truck accident. They can point you in the right direction at no charge. You may also assume that your case isn’t adequate for pursuing a settlement. It’s recommended to call a personal injury attorney regardless since they are the experts on truck accident lawsuits and other types of litigation. You never know what sort of options may be available!
Contact TorHoerman Law, Premium Alton Truck Accident Lawyer
Truck accident cases require the best lawyers. At TorHoerman Law, we’ve seen all types of cases and specialize in traffic accident compensation. Feel free to try our Instant Case Evaluation before reaching out. For the best legal representation, contact us to schedule a free consultation today.
For more information, see the following:
For additional legal practices in Alton, IL, visit the following pages: