Collinsville truck accident lawyer
Collinsville Truck Accident Lawyer: How Lawsuits Give Compensation
Truck accidents are a serious issue on Illinois highways and interstates. Trucks weigh roughly 35,000-80,000 pounds compared to that of a car which is only around 5,000 pounds. The tremendous weight of semi-trucks is what contributes to the high number of fatalities in accidents with cars. A Collinsville truck accident lawyer is often an expert in this area. If you or a loved one is injured in an accident, it is important to contact a Collinsville truck accident lawyer immediately. One call can turn your damages into compensation.
What Are The Most Common Causes of Truck Accidents?
Truck accidents can be caused by a number of things, anything from driver error to faulty equipment on the truck itself.
- Speeding– Speed limits are designed to keep drivers of all vehicles safe. Failing to obey the speed limit can not only put yourself in danger but others on the road, too.
- Drowsiness– When truck drivers are on the road for long periods of time, they tend to get drowsy at late hours.
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol– While illegal in all states, drugs or alcohol can be a contributing factor in a truck accident.
- Poor vehicle maintenance– Semi-trucks are designed to be driven thousands of miles, but regular maintenance is still needed. Each vehicle should undergo inspections regularly.
- Equipment Failure– There is a lot of equipment on a semi that helps the driver navigate the roadways safely. When equipment fails, it could cause unsafe driving and in turn, cause an accident.
- Inclement weather– If there is bad weather, it best to stay off the roads unless it is an emergency.
- Improper loading of cargo– Per federal and state regulations, cargo is to be loaded under strict guidelines that account for weight, size, length, width, and height. When these guidelines are not followed, it could cause cargo to fall off onto the road causing a catastrophic accident.
Depending on what caused the accident, there could be more than one person held liable. Due to the complicated nature of truck accident lawsuits, including determining the liable party, reconstructing the accident, and acquiring evidence, it is important to speak with a Collinsville truck accident lawyer immediately following the accident. They will be able to guide you on the next steps to take.
Truck Safety Tips and Suggestions While Driving in Collinsville, IL
The following recommendations can improve your safety and the safety of others while driving:
- Don’t drive if you are intoxicated or exceedingly tired. Even the slightest hindrances to your driving can be the source of a crash.
- If you’re carrying any loads on your vehicle, make sure they are securely attached.
- Keep your visibility in check. Trucks have special mirrors to make sure the driver can see all around them. If you’re driving a truck, always keep these mirrors properly situated.
- Maintain adequate gas and oil. A stalled truck creates a major safety hazard on any road.
- Don’t hover near other vehicles while driving. Anybody near a truck should keep a safe distance, but the same responsibility goes for truck drivers themselves.
- If anything goes wrong, call a Collinsville truck accident lawyer. Whether or not a lawsuit is viable, they can point you in the right direction following a truck crash.
Truck Accident Statistics for Collinsville, Illinois
In 2017, there were 4,889 truck accidents which resulted in a fatality (wrongful death lawsuit). This was a 6% increase from 2016, but it is unknown as to why this number is going up as it is often difficult to determine the specific cause of the accident. Although there was a substantial increase between 2016 and 2017, it is still lower than the 21st-century peak of 5,231 accidents in one year.
There were 116,000 crashes which resulted in injuries in 2017, a 4% increase from 2016. Analyzing the current trends, it is expected that the number of truck accidents will continue rising. The statistics are frighteningly alarming. While many accidents are unavoidable, it is important to pay attention to surroundings when driving on roadways, both for you as the driver of a car, and for the driver of a semi-truck.
Who Is Liable In A Collinsville Truck Accident?
Proving liability is one of the first steps in a truck accident lawsuit. However, it can be increasingly difficult if there are many factors involved. For instance, the accident occurred on a rainy night making roads inherently more dangerous. The tractor-trailer hit your vehicle while you were stopped at a red light. At an immediate glance, it would seem that the weather conditions contributed to the accident because the roads were slick. But, what if the driver of the truck failed to be cautious in the rain and did not step on the brakes as far in advance as he should have? Or, it could even be plausible that there was an equipment malfunction and the brakes stopped working completely.
The complexity of the accident is a reason enough to speak with a Collinsville truck accident lawyer. They will be tasked with looking at all of the evidence and determining who should be held responsible for your damages, either compensatory or punitive.
Responsible parties can include, but not limited to, the driver of the semi-truck, the trucking company where the driver is employed, the company that provided maintenance for the truck, or even the manufacturer of the truck itself.
A Collinsville truck lawyer can help you understand the civil lawsuit process and answer any questions that you may have.
How Will A Collinsville Truck Accident Lawyer Help Me?
If a truck accident does occur, it is likely there will be serious injuries. It is important to immediately seek medical attention for any injuries, even if you do not believe you were injured. There could be internal injuries that you may not be aware of, and a medical exam could end up preventing further injuries or even saving your life.
After receiving medical treatment, contact a Collinsville truck accident lawyer. A personal injury lawyer can help you receive compensation for the damages you have suffered, including injuries, medical bills, rehabilitative treatment, wages lost during recovery, and even emotional pain and suffering. It’s important to keep records of these things since they can be used as evidence.
A truck accident attorney can also teach you about the following topics if they pertain to your case:
TorHoerman Law: Your Collinsville Truck Accident Lawyer
TorHoerman Law is here to help if you, a family member, or a friend have been in a truck accident. Our firm is determined to help those who have been wronged by the negligence of another, individual or organization. Contact a Collinsville truck accident lawyer for a free, no-obligation consultation.
For additional information, see the following:
For additional legal practices in Collinsville, IL, visit the following pages: