Kirkwood Car Accident Lawyer: Your Legal Guide to Kirkwood, Missouri
If you live in or around St. Louis, then you probably know the City of Kirkwood. It’s a nice little town that makes you feel at home no matter where you’re from. Kirkwood is universally admired for its safety, cleanliness, and friendly people. Nonetheless, this area still struggles in some ways. The roads and highway systems can be particularly problematic. If you get in an accident, you’re not alone. A Kirkwood car accident lawyer knows how to handle your situation. Don’t hesitate to get help!
Car Accident Statistics For Kirkwood, Missouri
Rest assured—you aren’t the only one who’s been in an accident. In fact, traffic crashes are so common that the statistics on them are countless. Have you ever been curious about the facts or the numbers? Here are just a few:
- Car accidents are the most common cause of death for teenagers.
- A majority of traffic deaths happen to those who weren’t wearing a seatbelt.
- Accidents are most likely to occur on highways, in urban areas, and on weekend nights.
- Missouri’s traffic fatalities have gone down by about 25% since 2005.
- St. Louis and Kansas City are the most dangerous cities for driving in Missouri.
- In 2017, Kirkwood experienced 2 traffic fatalities and 44 serious injuries from accidents. The two fatalities were pedestrians.
- Distracted driving was the most common feature in those accidents.
- Compared to its overall population, the rate of traffic deaths in Missouri is higher than most states’.
- 100% of people are happy they talked to a Kirkwood car accident lawyer.
How To Drive Safely: Car Laws and Tips For Driving
Brushing up on safety tips can save your life as well as the life of others. You can never be too safe, and if you’re worried about getting in another accident, consider these suggestions:
- If you’re using a GPS, don’t let it distract you from what’s going on outside your car.
- Make sure your driver’s license, registration, and insurance are always in your vehicle.
- Get a safety and emissions inspection every year.
- Train yourself to take note of the speed limit at all times.
- Keep a first aid kit, jumper cables, extra oil, and extra fuel in your vehicle.
- Make sure you have an emergency contact. 911 is usually the first number to call.
- Use your turn signals anytime you change lanes or are about to make a turn.
- Check your mirrors to make sure your visibility is adequate.
- Don’t drive while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- If you or the driver only has their permit, put a “Permit Driver” sticker on the back of your vehicle.
- Call a Kirkwood car accident lawyer if you get in any trouble. They can probably help.
Don’t let the comfort of your daily commute get the best of you. Every second on the road could mean life or death for someone. These tips should be a good starting point, but safe driving ultimately relies on your own personal judgment.
What To Do When A Car Accident Takes Place
In the event of a car accident, it’s crucial that you know how to respond quickly, safely, and thoughtfully. A simple accident can easily turn into a bigger mess by ignoring the proper protocol. Even the most experienced drivers are often unaware of what to do. Here are the steps you should take as soon as an accident happens:
- Move your vehicle out of the way if possible. A stationary vehicle on the highway immediately poses a large risk to oncoming traffic. Pull your vehicle to the shoulder if you can.
- Turn your hazard lights on, turn off your car, and get out of it. You don’t want to be in your car when it explodes, catches on fire, or gets struck by an unsuspecting driver.
- Check on others. It’s likely you weren’t the only victim of the accident. Observe and speak with the others to gauge injuries. They may have additional knowledge of what to do in the situation, as well.
- Collect all the information you can. Document the others’ names, license plates, contact info, and anything else you can learn from the scene.
- Take lots of photos. Photograph vehicles, damages, license plates, and indicators of the location of the accident. Info like this will be useful in the subsequent legal process of recovering money for damages.
- Call your insurance company. They’ll help you navigate the initial recovery process. The more information you can provide, the smoother the process will be. You’ll probably be led to a Kirkwood car accident lawyer thereafter.
How Does Financial Compensation Work?
Luckily for you, the ins and outs of the legal process aren’t mandatory for you to know. Your attorney is the expert, and you will act more as a supplier of information than anything. Still, it’s helpful to know what will happen when you call a Kirkwood car accident lawyer and how liability works.
Upon calling a lawyer, you should have already spoken with your insurance company. Your attorney will connect with your insurer, so don’t stress about remembering everything your insurer told you.
Your lawyer will first review your entire situation. They’ll look at the evidence, assess the damages, and decide if your case is worth trying in court. If they deem it worthy, they’ll begin building your case.
Now what? You’ll work together with your lawyer, giving them information and following their directions. When you finally get to court, your team will fight for compensation. In Missouri, traffic accident compensation is treated using a percentage system, and there are two main types of compensation. The main argument in court will be to prove whose fault the accident was. If you’re looking to win $1,000 in damages but the court finds you 20% at fault for the accident, your compensation would become $800. So don’t worry too much about coming home empty-handed.
Ready To Team Up With A Kirkwood Car Accident Lawyer?
If you’re looking for financial help after an accident, TorHoerman Law is the one for you. Our clan of experts is the best around, and we’ll make the process as pleasant as we can. We’ll look at your case for free. Don’t wait to schedule a consultation at 1-888-508-6752 today!
For additional information, see the following:
For additional legal practices in Kirkwood, MO, visit the following pages: