O'Fallon Truck Accident Lawyer: Legal Guide To Truck Crashes
If you or a loved one is involved in a truck accident in O’Fallon, IL, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses through an O’Fallon truck accident lawsuit. Contact TorHoerman Law for a free, no-obligation consultation with an experienced O’Fallon truck accident lawyer. When you contact an O’Fallon truck accident law firm, you can discuss your situation with an expert, learn about your legal options, and decide what is best for you – all for free.
Contact us today and learn how TorHoerman Law can serve you.
O’Fallon, IL and Truck Accidents
O’Fallon is a city in St. Clair County of Southern Illinois. It has a rich history of industry and prosperity, and more than 30,000 people live there today. O’Fallon is known for its Scott Air Force Base as well as having a large collection of parks. St. Clair County is a common stop for those traveling across the Missouri-Illinois border. Subsequently, there’s a lot of traffic on the highways and other roads that pass through the area. As a growing town near a number of major roadways and boasting a successful economy, trucks constantly pass through the area, making truck accidents an unfortunate inevitability.
If you or someone you know has suffered a truck accident in O’Fallon, IL you may need the services of an O’Fallon truck accident lawyer.
Some truck accident victims are stuck paying for damages caused by another driver’s actions. A trucking accident lawyer can win you that money back by working out a settlement or filing a lawsuit. A lawyer will make the process smooth and simple for you. Continue reading to learn about O’Fallon, IL, and the benefits of hiring an O’Fallon truck accident lawyer.
O’Fallon Truck Accident Statistics
Truck accidents are a worldwide issue. The United States has high rates of truck accidents compared to other developed countries, possibly due to Americans preferring personal vehicles. Here are some truck crash statistics:
- O’Fallon, Illinois experiences fewer than 5 fatal truck accidents each year.
- 4,678 people died in truck accidents in 2018.
- Of those fatalities, 885 of them were truck occupants.
- The number of pedestrians killed by trucks increased by 13% between 2017 and 2018.
- Overall traffic fatalities increased by 3.4% between 2017 and 2018.
- Truck crashes cause more property damage than car accidents.
- Truck accident rates in the last 3 years have been the highest since the 1980s.
- In the US, more than $9 billion go into truck safety and training each year.
- Truck accidents happen the most in the evening.
For the latest information on truck safety, ask an O’Fallon truck accident lawyer.
6 Most Common Causes of Truck Accidents
What makes a truck ride go south? There are many reasons that trucks are a challenging type of vehicle to navigate. These are the 6 main causes of truck crashes:
- Excessive speed. Trucks can weigh up ten-times more than a standard car. This means it takes them a lot longer to come to a stop. Once a truck really gets going, its speed is harder to change, and it doesn’t always end well.
- Distracted driving. There are many dashcam videos of this phenomenon. A truck slowly veers off the road (or a car) until it’s out of control.
- Poor weather conditions. Bad weather can cause all sorts of accidents. Rain makes it harder for tires to grip. Tornadoes can destroy everything. Snow makes the entire commute a hassle. Always check the forecast before venturing out in your truck.
- Unfit drivers. Teen drivers are the least safe to be around. Even worse is drivers who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Thousands of accidents come down to people driving who shouldn’t be behind the wheel.
- Bad lane changes. It takes two to change lanes properly. Whether it’s merging from an on-ramp or trying to pass a vehicle on a long stretch of highway, changing lanes requires cooperation and attentiveness.
- Vehicle malfunctions. It’s possible for truck tires to randomly explode or even to lose the loads they’re carrying. It’s also possible for a truck’s brakes to malfunction while driving. You can help prevent these things from happening by getting safety inspections at least once a year.
What Does An O’Fallon Truck Accident Lawyer Do?
Reaching out to an attorney has many benefits. If you’ve been in a truck accident, chances are you’re trying to work out the medical bills and other damages caused by the accident. Your insurance may cover some of it but probably not all of it. That’s when an O’Fallon truck accident lawyer can be of assistance.
A truck crash lawyer will gather evidence, assess your damages, and build a case for you. They’ll communicate with insurance representatives and help you see what your options are. If you have a viable case, they will work to gain your compensation through a settlement or trial.
Your lawyer will try to get as much information from you as possible about your truck accident. This will be used to show the insurance companies or the court that you aren’t liable for the crash but are stuck paying for it emotionally, physically, or financially. Chances are your case will settle out of court, meaning you receive compensation without ever going to court. A small number of cases will continue to trial.
An O’Fallon truck accident lawyer fights for justice for victims of trucking accidents so that those victims can focus on healing.
What Is My Truck Accident Case Worth?
The amount of money you can receive for your accident depends on damages. Damages can be compensatory or punitive. It also depends on how strong your case is overall. You can maximize the strength of your case by keeping close track of all evidence such as bills, dates, and photos—anything that will help demonstrate the details of what happened and how it has affected you.
Your Responsibilities in an O’Fallon Truck Accident Lawsuit
There are certain things you can do to help keep the truck accident lawsuit process on track. First, make sure you’re mitigating damages. This means treating your injuries so that a lawsuit will accurately reflect the severity of your injuries. Next, take action as soon as you recognize an injury or other damages. The statute of limitations could prevent you from receiving compensation if you wait too long to take legal action, so be sure to contact an O’Fallon truck accident lawyer right away. Finally, stay in close communication with your lawyer. An O’Fallon truck accident lawyer will have specific instructions on what you should do throughout the process. Following instructions will make their job easier and improve your chances of a successful case.
What’s The Length of a Truck Crash Lawsuit?
Truck cases generally take between six months and two years to settle. There are many factors that play into this, so it’s best yo ask your attorney about your unique case. A case that settles out of court will likely resolve sooner than if you have to go to court. The length of your case also depends on the schedule of the court which is sometimes unpredictable.
TorHoerman Law, O’Fallon Truck Accident Lawyer
The attorneys at TorHoerman Law have decades of experience with truck accident cases and many other areas of personal injury litigation. For the best legal representation, call us at 1-888-508-6752 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation. You can also try an Instant Case Evaluation online now.
For more information, see the following:
For additional legal practices in O’Fallon, IL, visit the following pages: