Webster Groves Car Accident Lawyer: How To File Suit in Webster
You might be a good driver, but even the best drivers get in accidents. St. Louis is no stranger to road hazards like ice, construction, and negligent drivers. Unfortunately, these are issues that probably won’t disappear tomorrow. Eastern Missouri wouldn’t be accessible to drivers if it weren’t for the numerous highways that run through it, so we’re stuck fighting for our lives during every commute. But there’s still hope. If you get in an accident, you may be entitled to a generous settlement for the damages you incurred. A personal injury lawyer’s job is to build a case and win as much of that money as possible. Get ahold of a Webster Groves car accident lawyer so you can get the compensation you deserve.
Car Accident Statistics For Webster Groves, Missouri
If you’ve ever looked into the accident statistics of your town, then you know that those numbers can be shocking. Fortunately, the statistics for Webster Groves aren’t terrible. With only one major highway running through town, Webster experiences an average of one traffic death per year and around 450 injuries. To help put things in perspective, here are some figures from 2017:
- Motor vehicle accidents caused a total of 37,133 deaths in the U.S.
- Texas had the most fatalities with 3,722, and the District of Columbia the fewest with 31. Missouri had 930.
- Missouri had 15.2 fatalities for every 100,000 people. This is higher than most states which is a problem given Missouri’s large population.
- Of the different types of road users, car occupants made up the highest percentage of deaths in the US with 37%. Pickup and SUV occupants came in second, while bicyclists only accounted for 2% of deaths.
- In Missouri, 55% of fatal crashes were single-vehicle and 45% multiple-vehicle.
- An estimated 29% of drivers killed had a blood alcohol concentration exceeding the legal limit of 0.08. North Dakota was the worst with 49% of drivers above the legal limit.
- 54% of fatal crashes occur in urban cities. In Missouri, 50% were rural and 50% were urban.
- A total of 23,708 passenger vehicle occupants were killed in accidents. 48% were wearing their seatbelts.
- 100% of accident victims should contact a Webster Groves car accident lawyer.
Are Missouri Roads Safe?
Missouri consistently ranks as one of the most deadly states in the country for car accidents. Why is this the case for such an unassuming state? Here are some factors that may explain it:
- The midwest faces intense, unpredictable weather patterns.
- Public transportation is not very popular. Public transportation is often a source for premises liability cases.
- Webster Groves is close to urban parts of St. Louis that undergo frequent construction.
- Missouri has relatively liberal alcohol laws and regulations compared to states like Oklahoma and Kansas.
- St. Louis County and Kansas City are two of the most populous cities in the midwest.
- Missouri goes all out for sporting events and holidays, so the roads become packed.
If you’re from out of state, don’t be turned off by this list. Missouri retains its charm through the rough times. But there are aspects of Missouri life whose improvement could make for safer driving, fewer injuries, and less need for a Webster Groves car accident lawyer.
Responsibilities of a Webster Groves Car Accident Lawyer
You don’t have to be well-versed in law to call an attorney. Here are some of the things your lawyer will do in the civil lawsuit process:
- They will assess damages related to your accident
- They will gather evidence to show that you aren’t liable
- They will decide whether compensatory or punitive damages are right for your case
- If you’re representing a loved one who was killed in an accident, your lawyer will likely try a wrongful death lawsuit
- They will make sure you’re properly mitigating damages
- They will investigate the statute of limitations for your situation
- They will fight to land you compensation
- They won’t charge you until it’s time to pay contingency fee
- They also have knowledge of any bellwether trial or multidistrict litigation related to your case
Car Safety and Maintenance: How To Keep Up With Your Car
Studying the safety features is just a preliminary step in ensuring your security. Good maintenance habits are just as important, so there’s still a lot you can do. Be brave and take note:
- Gas. You won’t get very far without it. Always check your fuel level so that you don’t end up stranded.
- Oil. You’re a car and you’re thirsty. You can only quench your thirst with the occasional swig of oil. Check your car’s oil levels once a week, and give her a sip when she starts approaching the minimum mark.
- Other fluids. It isn’t a car without windscreen washer and coolant fluid. Pop the hood and take a look at each respective reservoir. You don’t want to get stuck with dirty windows or a moody engine.
- Gizmos. Your car is just a collection of gadgets, each of which has a purpose. Contact a mechanic if any of these components go awry: windshield wipers, speedometer, odometer, battery, brake, engine fan, transmission, or spark plug. Odd noises coming from the car typically are cause for concern.
- Emergency materials. Make sure you keep a first aid kit in your car and know the emergency phone number of your location. You’ll also appreciate having the phone number of your insurer, relatives, and a Webster Groves car accident lawyer if you ever need one.
- Safety inspections. In Missouri, all newly registered vehicles must undergo a safety and emissions inspection. Vehicles older than five years must complete another safety inspection every two years (although this law is in the process of being changed). These sorts of laws are usually pretty soft, so it’s a good idea to ask your mechanic for a routine inspection a couple of times a year.
I’m No Doctor, But I Think I’ve Been in An Accident! Can A Webster Groves Car Accident Lawyer Help?
You’ve seen the statistics. Car accidents are a troubling part of our reality. By reaching out to a personal injury attorney, you can begin the process of getting paid for your losses. At TorHoerman Law, we understand the toll that a car accident can take on a person. Our experienced team serves clients in Webster Groves and surrounding cities. At no cost, we will review your case before deciding the best way to move forward. Schedule a free consultation by calling 314-325-1369.
For additional information, see the following:
For additional legal practices in Webster Groves, MO, visit the following pages: