Finding a Lawyer After Experiencing a Traumatizing Event Can Be Intimidating, but We’re Here to Help.
Assault and sexual abuse are devastating to victims and have life-long consequences. While many victims believe they shouldn’t take action against an abuser or they were at fault for the abuse, that simply isn’t true. Victims have a right to seek justice for the pain and suffering they have endured. At TorHoerman Law, we stand behind the survivors and vow to help obtain the compensation they deserve.
In St. Louis City, there were a reported 10 rapes, 360 aggravated assaults, 277 simple assaults, 25 sex offenses, and 7 offenses against family in the May of 2019 alone.
Have you been the victim of assault, sexual abuse, sexual assault, battery, or another intentional tort? Contact TorHoerman Law to talk to a St. Louis assault lawyer today.
What Do I Do if I Was the Victim of Assault and Battery?
Assault is never okay, and the first thing you should do is immediately call 911. Your health and well-being are most important, and along with the arrival of law enforcement officers, a medical team will be dispatched to treat any injuries you may have received.
After you have received all of the necessary medical treatment, contact a St. Louis assault lawyer to discuss legal representation. From there, your legal team will take the burden of worrying about the legal process off of your shoulders. They will coordinate the investigation, speak with the defense, and enter into negotiations with the opposing parties on your behalf. While most personal injury cases settle prior to going to trial, there is the possibility trial will take place. If this is the case, your legal team will also prepare for trial, at which point, the judge presiding over your case or the jury assigned to listen will decide the outcome.
The goal of our firm and attorneys at law is to give you the time to recover from the incident both physically and mentally while we work tirelessly to get you the compensation you deserve.
Criminal Charges vs. Civil Assault Lawsuits
After a victim has been assaulted, the perpetrator can be charged in criminal courts with an assault charge and also be subjected to a civil lawsuit. The first is a part of the criminal justice system and can result in fines or jail time and the latter can result in monetary compensation for the victim, paid for by the defendant.
At TorHoerman Law, we are well versed and experienced in helping the victim receive the compensation they deserve. We will work hard to help you, the survivor of a traumatizing incident.
Proving the Aggressor’s Intent
With the assistance of a personal injury attorney, there must be three elements established in order to prove the aggressor’s intent for an assault lawsuit.
- The aggressor committed the intentional physical, verbal, emotional contact with the victim’s body or property.
- The contact was perceived as harmful, unwanted, or offensive.
- The victim did not consent to the contact in any way.
Sexual Assault Resources
After enduring an act of violence, it can be hard to know where to turn. As your lawyer, we will help you at every step of the way, but you may also need additional resources, such as support organizations and groups, that can help you move forward, mentally. Below you will find a list of resources that can help victims of sexual assault whether you are in Saint Louis or on the Illinois side of St. Louis.
- St. Louis Regional Sexual Assault Hotline – (314) 531-7273
- YWCA St. Louis Regional Sexual Assault Center – (314) 531-7273
- Safe Connections – (314) 531-2003
- Crime Victims Advocacy Center – (314) 652-3623
- Alive – (314) 993-7080
For more information regarding local and online resources, please either visit https://safeconnections.org/local-and-online-resources/ or https://dps.mo.gov/dir/programs/cvsu/counties/st-louis-city.php.
TorHoerman Law St. Louis Assault Lawyer
Although we cannot erase memories of the trauma, we want to help you or a loved one move forward. Our St. Louis injury law firm offers free, no-obligation consultation for any St. Louis assault or sexual abuse case.
Do you have questions or need legal advice? Contact the law offices of TorHoerman Law to speak with an experienced St. Louis assault lawyer.
For additional information, see the following pages:
For additional practice areas in St. Louis, MO, see the following pages:
- St. Louis Injury Lawyer
- St. Louis Car Accident Lawyer
- St. Louis MO Trucking Accident Attorney
- St. Louis Motorcycle Accident Injury Lawyer
- St. Louis Wrongful Death Attorney
- St. Louis Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Bicycle Accident Attorney St. Louis
- St. Louis Premises Liability
- St. Louis Workers’ Compensation Lawyer
- St. Louis Medical Malpractice Lawyer
- St. Louis Dog Bite Lawyer
- St. Louis Bus Accident Lawyer
- St. Louis Assault Lawyer
- St. Louis Chemical Exposure Lawyer
- St. Louis Daycare Injury Lawyer
- St. Louis Uber Accident Attorneys
- Lyft Accident Attorney St. Louis
- St. Louis Mesothelioma Lawyer
- St. Louis Construction Accident Lawyer
- St. Louis Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer