Southern Illinois Car Accident Facts
Car accidents are a bigger problem than you may think. As we haven’t yet made self-driving cars standard in society, traditional vehicles remain a danger that you probably face every day. The issue spans across the globe.
So what are the facts? Here’s what the Association For Safe International Road Travel has to say:
- Nearly 1.25 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day. An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled.
- More than half of all road traffic deaths occur among young adults ages 15-44.
- Road traffic crashes rank as the 9th leading cause of death and account for 2.2% of all deaths globally.
- Road crashes are the leading cause of death among young people ages 15-29, and the second leading cause of death worldwide among young people ages 5-14.
- Each year nearly 400,000 people under 25 die on the world’s roads, on average over 1,000 a day.
- Over 90% of all road fatalities occur in low and middle-income countries, which have less than half of the world’s vehicles.
- Road crashes cost low and middle-income countries USD $65 billion annually, exceeding the total amount received in developmental assistance.
- Road crashes are the single greatest annual cause of death of healthy U.S. citizens traveling abroad
- In the US, over 37,000 people die in road crashes each year.
- There are more than 300,000 traffic accidents in Illinois per year. 21% of crashes cause injuries and less than 1% cause death.
- Unless action is taken, road traffic injuries are predicted to become the fifth leading cause of death by 2030. If you end up in the wrong place at the wrong time, a Southern Illinois car accident lawyer can help.