Civil Lawsuit – The Civil Litigation Process Explained In Steps


civil lawsuitA civil lawsuit can seem complex and, for most of us, confusing. If you are involved in a civil lawsuit, you shouldn’t feel discouraged by the various steps or the legal jargon. Civil lawsuits aren’t actually too hard to wrap your head around once you understand the steps and some of the terminology.

We broke down the basic steps of the civil lawsuit process to help our clients better understand what exactly is going on with their lawsuit.


What is a Civil Lawsuit?

A civil lawsuit, which is sometimes also called a civil litigation, is a lawsuit based on non-criminal statutes. A civil lawsuit is a dispute that is handled legally by the courts, such as a personal injury lawsuit. Civil lawsuits commonly involve individuals, groups of people, people and businesses, or other entities.

A civil lawsuit can range from a small claim, such as a fender bender, to a major multidistrict litigation involving thousands of individuals.


What are the Steps in a Civil Lawsuit?

Civil litigation goes through specific steps – or proceedings. We will be covering four common steps involved in most civil lawsuits.

  • Pleadings
  • Discovery
  • Trial
  • Appeal


Pleadings – the First Step in a Civil Lawsuit

The pleadings are the initial step in the civil lawsuit. Each side, or party, will file paperwork to explain their side of the story. The person bringing on the lawsuit, or plaintiff, will file a complaint. The person being alleged of wrongdoing, or defendant, will file an answer.

Once the initial complaint is filed, the civil lawsuit is legally underway.

What is a Complaint?

The complaint is a formal document filed by the plaintiff with the court. The plaintiff is also responsible for formally delivering the complaint to the defendant.

The complaint is just that – a complaint. It details the plaintiff’s description of the events that lead to the dispute, outlining the ways in which the defendant caused harm to the plaintiff. The complaint also establishes a legal basis for holding the defendant responsible for the defendant’s alleged actions.

What is an Answer?

The answer is just that – an answer. The answer is a response to the plaintiff’s complaint. The answer details the defendant’s description of the events that lead to the dispute, outlining any inaccuracies or falsehoods that they find in the complaint.

The defendant has a limited amount of time to file an answer.

The defendant can file a counter-claim if they so choose. The counter-claim(s) is an allegation(s) against the plaintiff, outlining the ways in which the plaintiff caused harm to the defendant. The counter-claim also establishes a legal basis for holding the plaintiff responsible for the plaintiff’s alleged actions.

The plaintiff will sometimes file a response to the answer or counter-claim in the form of a reply.

Amended Complaints & Answers

As a response to replies, or in the instance that one party requests clarification over legal theories or allegations in the other party’s pleadings, a complaint or answer may be amended.

A party can ask that a specific part of any pleadings also be dismissed by the court, in which cases, a pleading would also be amended.

Discovery – the Second Step in a Civil Lawsuit

After both parties have completed the pleadings process, both parties will enter discovery.

Discovery is a process in which both parties begin to obtain information to help strengthen their arguments. The theory of broad rights of discovery is that both the plaintiff and defendant will enter the trial with as much information as possible to make their case. Discovery also keeps the parties from hiding information from one another.

Discovery is generally the longest part of the civil litigation process. Discovery begins after all pleadings have been filed and do not end until shortly before the trial.

How do Parties Gain Knowledge through Discovery?

Each party will obtain information through demands for production of documents, depositions of parties and witnesses, written interrogatories (questions and answers written under oath), written requests for admissions of fact, examination of the scene, and the petitions and motions employed to enforce discovery rights.

Parties may also use expert witnesses to gain knowledge about the case during discovery. Expert witnesses are brought in to validate arguments and testify on behalf of a party’s claim.

Motions During or After Discovery

Before the trial begins, either during the discovery process or shortly after, parties may use motions to ask the court to rule or act. The motion can be a request to amend or dismiss part of the case, question legal basis or languages used by the other party, or clarification of certain issues in the lawsuit.


Trial – the Third Step in a Civil Lawsuit

After discovery has ended, if the dispute is not resolved out of court, the civil lawsuit will move to trial.

Before the trial begins, both parties will submit a brief to the judge. A brief is a document which outlines the party’s argument as well as any evidence that the party will present during the trial.

At the trial, both the plaintiff and the defense will present their arguments to either a judge or jury. Trials involving a judge and no jury are referred to as bench trials. If the trial is set to be decided by a jury, both parties help make juror selections through a pre-trial process of potential-juror interviews called a voir dire.

Once the trial begins, both parties present their opening statements. Opening statements are brief outlines of the parties’ arguments.

After opening statements are made, each party introduces its case. The plaintiff always presents its case first. The defense presents its case after. After the defense has presented its case, the plaintiff has one last opportunity to present additional evidence – known as rebuttal evidence.

Each party will present its cases using evidence, which can include documents, expert testimony, or exhibits that support its argument. Witnesses may be called to the stand for questioning. After a witness is examined by one party, the opposing party can choose to cross-examine the witness.

Once each party has had an opportunity to present its case, both will make a closing argument.

In a jury trial, after closing arguments, the judge instructs the jury on the legal basis that it should apply to the evidence. The jury deliberates for a period of time until a verdict is reached.

In a bench trial, the judge deliberates for a period of time until a decision or verdict is reached.

After Verdict has been Made

After the verdict is made, a party can choose to challenge the verdict. These challenges are more common during jury trials because errors and disregard of law or legal definitions occur more often by juries. A party can file a motion for judgment notwithstanding the verdict, asking for the judge to make a decision without consideration to the jury’s verdict. A party can also file a motion for a new trial.


Appeal – the Fourth Step in a Civil Lawsuit

If a party does not agree with the result of the trial, they can appeal the decision. If a decision is appealed, then the civil lawsuit is presented to an appellate court that reviews the previous proceedings of the lawsuit.

Each party will submit a brief and a record of evidence from trial to the appellate court. The appellate court looks for any errors in legality made during the pre-trial or trial proceedings.

After reviewing the proceedings, the appellate court releases an opinion, which is the appellate court’s decision. The opinion can either affirm the verdict made by the trial court or find an error, in which case the appellate court may reverse the verdict or order a new trial be conducted by the trial court.

+ - References

“Legal Dictionary -” Legal Dictionary,"

1 Comment Posted

  1. Useful information .

    Posted by Prabhakar on Mon Mar 11 2019 11:39am

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

« Read more related news

Filter News

No-Obligation Free Consultation

Contact us by phone at 1-888-508-6752 or email us below.