Six Steps to Take After Your Car Accident in Collinsville, IL
- Make sure everyone is okay after the accident. If anyone is seriously injured call 911 for an ambulance immediately.
- Stay at the scene of the crash.
- When law enforcement officers arrive, provide a statement but do not place blame. After speaking with each person involved in the accident, the officers write a crash report that can later be obtained for your civil lawsuit process as evidence.
- Document everything that occurred. Write down exactly what happened and make sure to take pictures. Pictures, videos, and witness statements will be essential in proving your case.
- Never admit fault to anyone especially the other driver. If you admit fault, you could be prevented from filing a lawsuit.
- If the police were not called to the scene of the accident, complete a crash report within 10 days of the crash. Typically, this needs to be done if the accident occurred on private property and the police did not have jurisdiction. If it happened on another person’s property, it may be subject to premises liability. Finally, call a Collinsville car accident lawyer.