Car Accidents in Chicago, IL
If you or a loved one suffered an injury or financial loss due to a car accident in Chicago, IL, you may be entitled to compensation for those damages. Contact TorHoerman Law today for a free, no-obligation case consultation with an experienced Chicago car accident lawyer. We can confidentially discuss your situation, risk-free, and provide you with some legal options to move forward.
Want to find out if you qualify for compensation right now? Use our chatbot below for a free, instant online case evaluation from a Chicago car accident law firm.
You are not alone on the road to financial recovery. Contact TorHoerman Law to see how our firm can serve you.
Why Hire a Chicago Car Accident Lawyer
According to the Illinois Department of Transportation, there are an estimated 772 car wrecks in the state every day. Cook County leads the State of Illinois in fatal vehicle accidents. In 2018, there were 276 fatalities as a result of a car accident in the county. The statistics are staggering and car accidents on Chicago’s busy roadways are unfortunately not always avoidable.
If you or a loved one suffered injuries resulting from a car accident, we are here to help. Contact an experienced Chicago car accident lawyer from TorHoerman Law for a free, no-obligation consultation to discuss your legal options today.
Individuals who have been involved in an accident are already dealing with injuries, stress, financial loss, and recovery. You should not be additionally burdened with the hassle of handling your legal action. Let us represent and fight for you, while you focus on the most important thing – recovery.
We are dedicated to fighting for our clients to the fullest extent.
How Much Will a Chicago Car Accident Lawyer Cost?
Worried about the cost of legal representation?
Good news – TorHoerman Law operates on contingency fee basis. This means that our clients do not receive fees for our services until after they have been awarded financial compensation for their accident. No compensation? No legal fees. This is our way of guaranteeing our commitment to your case.
Car Accidents in Chicago, IL
Chicago is no stranger to car accidents. In fact, the city has some of the highest rates of traffic accidents in the country.
As an urban area, Chicago has some of the most dangerous roadways due to traffic creating congested roads, regular winter weather bringing ice and snow to the area, and roadways in need of repair.
Even the safest drivers can get into a car accident because ultimately, you can’t control the behaviors of other drivers or outside factors such as weather conditions like snow, ice, or rain. You can, however, take control of your future by seeking legal representation if you are involved in an accident. A Chicago car accident lawyer can help when you are faced with the uncertainty of the aftermath of a car accident.
At TorHoerman Law, Chicago car accident law firm, will evaluate your case and answer any questions you may have free of charge. Our experienced team of attorneys is here to handle your Chicago car accident lawsuit, navigating the civil litigation process so that you can focus on getting back in good health and getting back with your life.
I Was in a Car Accident in Chicago, IL. What Do I Do Now?
- STOP! Never leave the scene, unless seriously injured and you need to go to the hospital.
- Call the Chicago police and Chicago medical professionals for assistance. Illinois law requires you to report an accident if an injury or death occurred. If the accident resulted in more than $1,500 in property damage, the accident must be reported within 10 days. Failure to report an accident is considered a felony in the state of Illinois.
- Document. Record details and collect photos, including photos of the license plates and licenses of anyone involved in the accident. Write down the names of the responding law enforcement officers. The more details you collect, the better.
- Do not admit fault to anyone, including the other driver or the other driver’s insurance company.
- If hurt, keep track of all medical and billing records. This will help your case down the road.
- Hire a personal injury lawyer. Contact a Chicago car accident lawyer from TorHoerman Law right away. They can help you navigate the complicated Illinois legal system. Ask your legal team question any and all questions.. We’re here to help and make the process run smoothly for you.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Chicago, IL
While statewide campaigns, such as Click it or Ticket, End Distracted Driving, or the Illinois Speed Awareness Day, have been successful in creating awareness, they haven’t completely eliminated the factors that can cause car accidents. Chicago car accidents are most often caused by six different factors:
- Alcohol or drug impairment
- Distracted driving
- Reckless or careless driving
- Vehicle defects
- Road hazards
These common causes of Chicago car accidents are very similar to the most common causes of car accidents nationwide, although the bad winter weather and busy roadways are too factors that contribute more to Chicago car accidents.
After alerting emergency personnel of an accident, the responding officers will determine who is at fault for the accident and what factors caused the accident. That determination, in conjunction with the severity of your injuries and damages, will later help in establishing your case for compensation.
Common Chicago Car Accident Injuries
Common injuries incurred in a Chicago car accident can range from:
- Neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Spinal injuries
- Broken bones
- Head and brain trauma
The most common car accident injuries are oftentimes avoidable by taking the right safety precautions, like wearing a seatbelt.
Regardless of the injury, you should seek medical attention to properly diagnose and treat your injury. Seeking medical attention is an important step in mitigation and can greatly increase your chances of winning your Chicago car accident lawsuit.
Steps in a Chicago Car Accident Lawsuit
Each case is unique, so there is no “right” timeline for a Chicago car accident lawsuit, but typically cases proceed in a similar manner.
- In Illinois, the statute of limitations is two years from the date of injury, meaning you have two years from the date of your accident to file a Chicago car accident lawsuit. It is imperative you contact a Chicago car accident lawyer to discuss the details of your case as quickly as possible as to not miss your chance of filing a lawsuit.
- If, after an investigation into the facts, the attorney agrees to proceed with your case, a Chicago car accident lawsuit will be filed on your behalf.
- After the filing of the lawsuit, the discovery phase of the litigation occurs – where information and evidence are exchanged and depositions of the parties and potential witnesses will be conducted.
- In many cases, after the completion of the discovery phase but before the trial, the parties will attempt to resolve the case. While some cases can be resolved in as little in six months, the facts of each case will dictate the timing and potential of any settlement.
- If a settlement is agreed upon, after all the liens and attorney fees and case costs have been paid, you can receive the net proceeds as either a lump-sum payment or in a structured settlement, where the proceeds are paid over an agreed-upon timeframe.
- If a settlement cannot be reached by the parties involved, the case will likely proceed to trial.
More often than not, Chicago car accident lawsuit cases settle before going to trial. However, there is a small chance your case could go to trial. Your Chicago car accident lawyer will be there to help you every step of the way regardless of which route your case could take.
Receiving Compensation for your Chicago Car Accident
The accident has happened and been taken care of by emergency personnel, but you’re still in pain, either physically or emotionally. The aftermath of a Chicago car accident is often incredibly stressful, but seeking compensation for the damages you suffered can help alleviate some of that stress.
Chicago Car Accident Damages
- Vehicle repair
- Vehicle replacement
- Payment of medical bills
- Lost income compensation
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
Depending on the specifics of your Chicago car accident lawsuit, you may choose to both compensatory damages and punitive damages against the party who holds liability for your losses. You should discuss both types of damages in detail with your Chicago car accident lawyer.
After calculating your total damages, you Chicago car accident lawyer will use legal means to seek compensation that totals the damages you incurred as a result of your accident.
Insurance Laws in Illinois
By law established in 1989, Illinois drivers are required to carry liability insurance. Specifically, drivers must carry the following:
- $25,000 in injury or death to another person
- $50,000 in injury or death to two or more people
- $20,000 in property damage
The right type of auto insurance can keep you protected in the event of an accident.
As a driver, you are required to not only have the aforementioned coverage but to carry your insurance card with you at all times while operating the vehicle.
If you were in a car accident in Chicago and the other driver does not have insurance, confusion can arise. What are the next steps?
What Happens If I Am in a Car Accident With an Uninsured Driver?
Unfortunately, this is an all too common issue on Chicago roadways. If you have full coverage on your vehicle, your policy likely covers uninsured motorists, but often, it comes with a price tag at your expense. You’ll be required to submit a claim and pay an out of pocket deductible, which often will be paid back but takes a significant amount of time. Because of the claim, you filed, your insurance premiums could rise at the time of renewal.
If you only have liability insurance on your car, new issues arise. You will likely have to pay out of pocket for almost all of the expenses unless you added uninsured motorist property damage. The add-on gives drivers damage protection to the driver if hit by an uninsured motorist. But, you have to be able to identify the driver, and it cannot be a hit-and-run, otherwise, you will be responsible for fixing the damage to your car.
It’s important to note that uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage can likely save you from paying thousands in out of pocket expenses if hit by an uninsured motorist. The add-on will increase your insurance costs by a small amount, but that amount is a small price to pay when faced with an accident involving an uninsured driver.
Uninsured motorists cause havoc on Chicago roadways. The Insurance Information Institute estimated that in 2015, 13.7% of motorists were uninsured. Illinois is ranked 18th in the country for the number of uninsured motorists on the roads.
Chicago, IL Rules of the Road
According to the Illinois Department of Transportation, nearly 100,000 people suffer injuries due to car accidents in the state every year. However, many of these accidents could have potentially been avoided if drivers were following the rules of the road.
Speed Limit in Chicago
In the City of Chicago, the universal speed limit for urban streets, not including expressway streets, is 30 miles per hour. If there are no visible speed limit signs, you can assume the speed limit is 30 MPH. This is a universal law throughout the State of Illinois. However, there are exceptions. In the case of streets that are more similar to highways, the speed limit will be higher, and when in school or construction zones, the speed limit will be lower. There also may be instances of lower speed limits when bike lanes are present. Even if a driver is not from Chicago, the NHTSA says that most urban areas follow the same speed limits which should provide guidance even if a sign is not in place.
Seat Belt Laws
A seat belt must be worn by all passengers regardless of seating, age, height, or weight. Seat belts can save lives, and not only is it illegal to not wear one but by wearing a seatbelt, you are ensuring your safety.
Red Light Camera Program
In Chicago, the City strongly enforces the Red Light Camera Program designed to reduce the number of dangerous crashes at intersections. Rear-end, side-swipe, angle, and head-on crashes are the most common types of car accidents that can cause significant harm to all individuals involved. By issuing citations to those who run red lights, the City hopes to deter drivers from carelessly passing through intersections when the light has turned red. Originally established in 2003, red-light cameras were placed at two intersections – Peterson and Western and 55th and Western. Since then, the program has expanded to other busy and problematic intersections.
Pedestrian Walkways & Pedestrian Right-of-Way Rules
While driving in the City, you’ll see a number of pedestrians walking to and from work or school. While this isn’t uncommon in a city of its size, there have been efforts to continually improve pedestrian safety. In 2014, the Chicago Police Department began an initiative to deter drivers from speeding around crosswalks and failing to yield to pedestrians. The initiative involves off-duty, undercover officers posing as pedestrians on sidewalks and crosswalks. If a driver failed to yield or was driving at an unusually high rate of speed – a law in Chicago, the driver would be pulled over by a police spotter down the street. Results of the campaign in 2015 revealed 2,602 citations were issued for “Failure to Stop for Pedestrians in Crosswalk”.
TorHoerman Law, The Best Chicago Car Accident Lawyer
The legal team at TorHoerman Law is both experienced and skilled in handling car accident lawsuits in Chicago, IL. Highly regarded as top lawyers in their field, a number of our lawyers hold titles as the Top Attorneys in IL, including being named a “Top 100 Lawyer” in the State of Illinois, an incredibly prestigious award that demonstrates his capability and expertise in the legal field.
You can count on the lawyers and staff of TorHoerman Law to work hard for you.
At TorHoerman Law, an experienced Chicago car accident lawyer can help answer any questions you may have. Contact us today and let a Chicago car accident lawyer from TorHoerman Law help you work through your Chicago car accident lawsuit.
For additional information, see the following pages:
For additional practice areas in Chicago, IL, see the following pages:
- Chicago Personal Injury Lawyer
- Chicago Car Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Attorney Chicago
- Chicago Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Wrongful Death Attorney Chicago
- Slip and Fall Attorney Chicago
- Chicago Bicycle Accident Lawyer
- Chicago Premises Liability Lawyer
- Chicago Workers’ Compensation Lawyer
- Medical Malpractice Attorney Chicago
- Dog Bite Attorney Chicago
- Chicago Public Transportation Accident Lawyer
- Chicago Assault Attorney
- Chicago Chemical Exposure Lawyer
- Chicago Daycare Negligence Lawyer
- Uber Accident Lawyer Chicago
- Chicago Lyft Accident Lawyers
- Chicago Scooter Accident Attorney
- Chicago Birth Injury Lawyer
- Chicago Construction Accident Injury
- Chicago Mesothelioma Lawyer